The Market Hall in the Tuscan style of architecture opened on 8th August in 1853. Situated in St Helens Square between what was Dumple Street and Cross Street costing £7,000 to build, another £9’000 was spent on the site and the approach roads.
It was designed by John Irvin the borough surveyor and measured 151 ft long, 111 ft wide and 43 ft high.
The vaults below the hall were converted to shops in 1993 with an expansion project of £280,000 providing 36 retail units.
Each unit would cost £33 per week to rent and it was estimated that in the following year the hall would make over £96’000 profit from traders rents.